Friday, April 26, 2013

Blog stage 7


When I started this class I didn’t really know that much about government or what to think about our system. But now I have realized that I don’t really like our system. There are a few points that I would like to touch on the first being is how we elect our president and how we are represented. I can’t believe that our votes doesn’t count when we elect our President. Presidential elections are the highest percentage of voters actually voting and it doesn’t count. We are the people who are truly affected by the president’s decision and yet we have no say so no the matter at all according to Steven E. Landsburg who explains that it’s all up to the Electoral College and our vote will only count if there is a tie breaker which is the chance of winning the Powerball jackpot 128 times in a row. http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/everyday_economics/2004/09/dont_vote.html
How do you get to actually vote for your president? Well the answer is easy, you have to be a die hard republican or democrat! So, instead of doing what right for the Nation you just have to go by the party representatives that you are committed too. 
 
The next thing that I’ll complain about in non-factions, we need more factions!! We build this county primarily on the basis of crusty old rich white men who didn’t want to share their powers with anyone else. And when I look at congress it’s still like that. They make decision based off what’s best for them and what will get them reelected for the next term.   Not to mention that the senate and House of Representatives can be brought and bribed by other members and lobbyist.  Why we follow the constitution when it was writing back in the 1700 and yet we still obeyed it. Back then people were trying to build a county and we are trying to fix their mistakes. If we still listen to them we would have to follow their suggestion that when we lost our teeth to simple replace them with wooden teeth. My point is that what was good for us back then it right for America now. So it’s time to adapt and change for the better.
 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Sean on the voting system. After being in this class I also had no idea our votes didn't count during the presidency. We are the people who vote and we are the people who matters in this country. Does are public opinion matter? I think changes need to be made in our United States government.
    http://goodyyy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I just love how you express your thoughts about the change that we desperately need. I like yourself feel like I have learned so much and actually care now for things that I had no clue about just months ago. I'm just glad now this class is a requirement because it can really open your mind into thinking more about our government and leads us into thinking about the importance of being informed and involved in what we can to make a difference one voice at a time. All in all I agree with every bit that you say. Our government truly needs a change, because their decisions affect more closely than what we imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with sean, we are the people directly affected by the election and we should be heard. If i had a better probability to win the lottery, of course i would pick that every time. Why go through the process of voting if it doesn't matter. I also agree that we need more factions in congress so that all americans can have a voice on their government. This class really did open a whole new world of government for us. Great post!

    ReplyDelete